3.05.2007

Lynch

I don't want to overstate this. David Lynch's late career work, so far, presents what may be the most complete, unique, and powerful individual artistic vision in film history. I'm not a scholar, so correct me if you can. He's had an amazing career, of course, but it seems like he's finally truly following up on Eraserhead. I don't know where this guy comes from. Inland Empire is absolutely the darkest, scariest, most unpleasant movie I've ever seen. Lynch takes a cue from Von Trier and shoots with a cheap digital cam. It's the perfect medium for Inland Empire, the most solipsistic and personal of Lynch's films. He says he's never going to use film again. Fine. He's got the largest filmic vocabulary of any director out there, and his new tools give him the freedom to use it all. His choice to use perhaps less sophisticated equipment doesn't limit him, it frees him. Try to see it in a theater. Bring a security blanket and something to puke into. David Lynch is moviemaking's Shakespeare. That may be an overstatement.

1 comment:

dw said...

probably not an overstatement. that movie was great.

Blog Archive

WeWillDie

My photo
Thighs
Life is Better Now.