1.22.2007

Pointlessness

If you were shot into space and you were allowed to bring along the entire output of five musicians and thats it, who would you choose?

I read something like that on another blog recently and I'm a dork so I've been thinking about it. This is a pretty good idea of who I would want at this moment:

Eno
- Man, I'm telling you, Eno is a great choice for anyone. You get all the great Eno albums (even the ambient stuff probably sounds great in space), plus three of Bowie's best, three great Talking Heads, Devo, Roxy Music, U2, the Microsoft Windows theme, Dune theme...
Bob Dylan - I had Brian Wilson all typed up here, but then I got a little worried. Maybe I'd get sick of it too quick. Dylan has much more variety. Album for album, I want Pet Sounds though.
Miles Davis - I was thinking of that band Can, but they're kind of a new love of mine and I'm not ready give myself to them completely yet. Plus, they sound a ton like late Miles Davis. Davis has like 300 albums, so he can occupy some time.
Lou Reed - I choose Lou over John Lennon, just barely, because I really think the Velvet Underground stuff would hold more interest to me if I were alone in outer space. Transformer? Sweet. Lou has a lot of stuff you could live without though.
Bach - I'm not that familiar with him, but he must be a good choice, right? Smart people would probably choose all classical composers, anyway.

You?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny to me that you'd choose Bach for status while you're floating alone in a void.

We'll stare up at the stars and think "He's out there now - listening to Bach." We'll let out subtle art-sighs and gesture as if we're releasing doves from our hearts.

senordustin said...

I thought I would get made fun of for Bach, but it makes sense. I was being sincere. I mean I thought a lot about it. You know he's going to be interesting long after the pop guys. Right? I don't know, I guess I should have gone with Stravinsky.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. That was mean.

I'll regret it after we launch you into space, Dust.

Anonymous said...

bach wrote this piano piece that supposedly has like 16 different 4-measure sections that you can order in any way and it'll be a good song. you can pick the sections out of a hat at random (or pseudo-random) and you'll have a song that works great.

or maybe it was mozart.

i would take thelonious monk (this is my top choice), brian eno (for your reasons, dust), the rza (for similar reasons -- he's produced tons of stuff), i'd take chopin over bach or mozart although i've been rethinking bach and mozart a lot lately, and deerhoof.

Anonymous said...

p.s. i don't think i'll ever get sick of surfin' safari song or that wild honey album.

senordustin said...

Monk is a good choice. What is the best of RZA's stuff? I know the one Wu Tang album is all.

senordustin said...

shiz. I just realized I left off L. Cohen. And the kinks. fool. too hard. l cohen in place of dylan.

Joy said...

L.Cohen or Bob....That's a tough choice.

Joy said...

Pet Sounds? Absolutely.

brian said...

it's mozart, not bach. bach has those goldberg variations which is similar in that you have 32 piano sonatas based on the same theme and you can probably listen to them randomly and they'd be just as awesome. and i think you're supposed to role dice to figure out which measure goes where in that mozart piece.

brian said...

but if there's one thing i learned from 2001 it's that classical music works best in space. so i'd take debussy, beethoven, litz (in your face chopin), wagner and kool keith since all his stuff is about space anyway.

Blog Archive

WeWillDie

My photo
Thighs
Life is Better Now.