1.15.2007

Harry Potter and the Immigrant Wars

Children of Men is the second really good 2006 movie I've seen. It really affected me and it's hard to tell if it's a great movie or if its themes just resonate so perfectly. Big, culturally relevant themes don't necessarily make something a work of art. Like the other movie I watched this week, Idiocracy. Funny, relevant, but not great. Children of Men has some flaws too I think, but I found myself not really caring. I believe the director, Cuaron, has made a sincere and compassionate movie that everyone really should see, about what could happen to our society if we forget to be respectful of all life. The future in Children of Men is horrible, but Cuaron adds such genuine hopefulness to it that in the end I felt inspired by it and not depressed. It says a lot that he was able to do that so convincingly.
I liked Y tu mama tambien, and now I may actually check out that Harry Potter movie he made. I think this dude will probably make some great movies, and Children of Men might be the first.

1 comment:

brian said...

that harry potter is a pretty good movie. not as good as children of men, but the best harry potter movie around. and they have maybe the best time-travel part in any movie i've ever seen.

Blog Archive

WeWillDie

My photo
Thighs
Life is Better Now.