11.09.2006

Easily Google'd Facts About Orson Welles
You're reading this, so I'll assume you're either a good friend, or my girlfriend. If I'm right, then you have seen Citizen Kane, probably several times. (Kels, I know you've seen it once, but we will be watching it very soon.) Wouldn't you agree, listeners, that to've seen Citizen Kane must lead to some intrigue with its creator. Like Godard's films, Kane shows its seams and reveals its artifice, ultimately being more about its creation as a work of art, than its subjects. Kane, though, was released in 1941, almost 20 years before Godard's first, Breathless, and Kane's self-referencing is unironic; it is uninformed by postmodernism and deconstruction. I think this is one of the qualities that makes Citizen Kane so interesting: its form and style seem eternally modern. Godard's movies, and I love some of them, bear the baggage of their period. (This wasn't supposed to be a comparison piece, I promise, I just wanted to create an opening that would remind you how interested you are in Orson Welles. You are. However, you will have to wait for the next installment of... "... Facts About Orson Welles." Wherein, I promise to include some Facts.)

No comments:

Blog Archive

WeWillDie

My photo
Thighs
Life is Better Now.