5.24.2007


When I was younger, I'd focus most of my attention on lyrics and singers. If I responded to music, it was mainly to the voice fronting the music. The instrumentation was important, sure, but boring instrumentation could often be saved by interesting lyrics or an unusual vocal performance. Then I wrote songs and played in a band, and somehow that experience changed how I listen to music. So, the last few years my attention has shifted strongly to the musical side. I don't pay much attention to the words anymore, instead preferring rhythmic complexity and atmosphere. Basically, I've been listening to more Can than Leonard Cohen. I still love L. Cohen. Seeing Animal Collective Tuesday night got me thinking about this stuff.
Anyway, I'm interested in hearing how others listen to music. How important are lyrics? What do you first listen for? How have the ways you listen to music changed?

7 comments:

brian said...

i think that kid might be a genius. his performance is great. especially when he hurts his finger strumming the guitar and when he almost falls over. he reminds me of guy from fugazi.

when i was younger, i only cared about guitars and guitar solos. now i hate guitar solos.

senordustin said...

he's already got some good songs. i love the trip too.

Anonymous said...

Kelsey said.....

I do think Mikey is a genius. He is singing about happy penguins, and probably bleeding all over the place. I also think he hits his dog with the guitar...

When I was younger I only listened to lyrics and tried to pay attention to what that person was really saying. I thought everything had such a "bigger meaning" I still listen that way! Hey, no one said I HAD to grow up.

Joy said...

I've always listened to the lyrics first. If the lyrics aren't there, it won't be a usual repeat. That being said, I find myself paying attention to the various instruments, the melody, harminization, solos etc.

dw said...

it takes me like a million listens to even catch the lyrics. i have to be trying to hear the lyrics at all.

Anonymous said...

I always thought the lyrics were the part that spoke...but I'm slowly learning that the music behind the lyrics speak louder and touch the soul for longer.

allibaster said...

whatever. lyrics are everything.

Blog Archive

WeWillDie

My photo
Thighs
Life is Better Now.